Tuesday, December 18, 2007

the haze lifting

It's been twelve weeks since I started my long run of q4 call, and this evening I woke up - thanks to the low-battery reminder beep on my smoke detector - from my final post-MICU call coma and realized that in eleven days, I'm packing my bags and getting on a plane to Kenya. Actually, I hope that my bags will be packed before eleven days from now, but the point is really that the weeks have snuck by me, and I'm now left with a far shorter time to really focus on preparing for my return to Tenwek than I would have liked. There's a long to-do list in my head and a somewhat disbelieving spirit in my heart that I can accomplish anywhere near as much of it as I'd like... but at this point, all I can do is be thankful for vacation and relieved that my attention no longer needs to be split between work and trip preparations. There's plenty of minute details to be sorted, support emails to be penned, prescriptions to be filled (doxycycline!), and suitcase corners to be crammed, but there's also a very real need to re-commit myself to prayer for this trip, because there's not much I can do with what little strength and energy I have remaining at this point, and I expect that God wants a lot more from me than that. Pray with me?

That being said, I'm also looking forward to the next eleven days with great joy: Christmas is mere moments away, it's been snowing off and on, and I'm going to home to be with my whole family for the first time in more than six months. What better way to celebrate the incarnation of the Savior of the world?

No comments: