It's a new week (my third already, can you believe it?) and a new month, and since I didn't manage to eek out a blog post over the weekend, I thought I'd type for a few minutes this morning. Though I have no idea what awaits me up at the hospital - the call schedule for the month hasn't been posted yet, and I haven't been on the wards or in the nursery since Friday - the weekend provided sufficient refreshment that I'm feeling hopeful. (Or should I say Hopeful?)
Not only did I take a walk yesterday with Laura, Shannon (2nd year FP resident) and Merwyn (medical student), but I squeezed one in before the rain on Saturday morning as well. The pictures I took are mostly all included in the slide show that is currently running to the right. It was a gorgeous two days, and though the rain still did come, the weather seems possibly to be changing a little, as the skies have been waiting longer to let loose lately. The countryside around the hospital is really beautiful, and with the rain, the hundreds of shades of green are out in full force. The dam, too, has more water running over it than I've seen since my initial trip in 2004. And in what amounted to quite a bit of personal encouragement, climbing the far bank of the river past the former rickety bridge (those of you who have been here know the trek of which I'm speaking) made me only moderately out-of-breath, rather than pre-syncopal! Perhaps my habit of running has done me good.
On Saturday evening, Agneta orchestrated a girls' movie night, which was much-appreciated. She, Shannon and I all trooped over to the Fitzwater house after Annemarie (age 20 months) had made it to bed, and with Krista made popcorn. Figuring out how to hook up the projector to the TV (for audio) and the DVD player (for video) didn't take too long, and we settled down to watch Cheaper by the Dozen, which I had never seen before, and which caused me to laugh harder than I had in a long time at a movie. Part of me thinks that the intensity of the laughter spilled over from the rest of the emotional intensity I'd experienced over the week, but whatever caused it, it did me more good than a simple movie ought to. Now Agneta's on a search for Cheaper by the Dozen 2...
Geoffrey Musyoka spoke at church yesterday about pride, which is always a convicting topic for me. It's an important distinction to realize that God calls us to excellence, but that - even in achieving excellence - it's nothing we have a right to take credit for. He made that very point in an eloquent way: "On the door of achievement, pride will always come knocking." And humility goes deeper than actions or words... it's an internal posture, and one that all too often I don't take.
Well, it's about time to finish off my mug of coffee (I may have absconded with the guesthouse coffee maker last week... but no one has complained yet), read my devotional, brush my teeth, and head up the hill. Quick update: Kipkoech, the baby with gastroschisis, was closed on Friday (no more silo!) and has hung in there over the weekend, but Eric told me yesterday that he's starting to get quite tachypneic, so I expect his belly is feeling pretty tight with all those bowels in there. Pray for him...
Happy Labor Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment