Saturday, October 5, 2013

time flies (!)

Let's set aside the fact that I only used the last of my Dorman's coffee a few weeks ago. And the fact that I have a 200 Kenyan shilling note in my wallet because I just haven't gotten around to taking it out yet. Even without these bits of insight, it still seems like this next trip to Tenwek has been approaching at a frightening pace. Some Tenwek visits meander onto my radar, and others I race headlong into; this is definitely one of the latter.

I spent quite a bit of time after I got back to the States last spring thinking about the pace at which we lead our lives, and what is healthy, and what is not, and what God sometimes calls us to that would, on the face of it, seem unsustainable but for his grace. Lately, as almost anyone who's talked to me knows, I've felt as though I'm squarely in that last category. Thankfully, the grace of God has been quite evident to me, especially in the last week: providing unexpected encouragement from friends, easing the tempo at work, allowing me enough sleep in spite of being on service. I'm very grateful, but in having the space to reflect, even a little, I've also realized that the one thing I haven't done yet about this trip is get excited. As in really, truly, looking forward to what's coming in just a week.

The push to the finish line (or... departure gate?) slows in intensity as of Wednesday morning. (At which point maybe I'll remember to phone in a prescription for malaria prophylaxis...) I hope that I'll really be able to use the last three or four days to prepare well, and that that process will make me as excited as I ought to be.

You can check back soon to find out. :)


No comments: