Monday, October 10, 2016

warfarin, weddings, and other tales

The problem with committing to regular updates is this: the longer you wait, the more there is that happens and the harder it is to convince yourself to take the time to write. But if I don’t do it now, I think it’s unlikely to happen before I find myself in the Nairobi airport on Saturday, so here goes.

I. Follow-up

My little guy in ICU who unexpectedly developed seizures died last Wednesday. For a while I thought he might make it through extubation, but by Wednesday morning it was clear that he wasn’t even trying to breathe on his own anymore, and the extent of his brain damage was severe enough that he couldn’t survive. I had grieved for the three days leading up to his death, but that morning was particularly poignant for me: not only did his father ask to be present while we took him off the ventilator – an incredibly uncommon request in our setting – but he also began to tear up as we did it. It was gut-wrenching to watch an otherwise-stoic Masai man come to tears as he watched his son slip away, and in the face of his grief, I felt mine renewed.
Deborah

The joy of last week, however, was Deborah, who bounced back miraculously well from her subdural hemorrhage and very real brush with death. Seeing her smile in the ward every morning lifted my heart, and after better defining her heart disease and coming up with a reasonable plan to manage it, we discharged her on Friday – though like many patients, she continues to wander the ward and bask in the courtyard while her family gathers the funds to pay her hospital bill. God brought her through that, without question, and I am so incredibly grateful.

II. Warfarin woes

Shadrack
The blood thinner that Deborah was on, warfarin, has become my nemesis over the past three weeks. Not only did she nearly die because of the consequences of a supratherapeutic level, but we had another rheumatic heart disease patient come in with over-thin blood who came close to losing an arm (from compartment syndrome) as well! And don’t get me started on the two patients we’re trying to get into the right range of blood-thinness: in spite of a rational approach to titrating their doses, we can’t seem to get lab results which make any sort of realistic, or consistent, sense. One of these warfarin prisoners, Shadrack, has now been hospitalized ONLY for this purpose for the last week. Or more. Normally we might have them come back as an outpatient and follow up, but Shadrack’s care is primarily at a hospital some distance from Tenwek, and without knowing how much we can rely on their clinic to make dose adjustments as necessary, we feel compelled to keep him until we’ve got it right. Especially having so recently seen the consequences of getting it wrong. The good news is that Shadrack has an incredibly joyful personality and doesn't seem the least bit discouraged about the situation: he always has a handshake or high five for me when I walk by, as well as an irrepressible grin.

III. Eldoret adventures

This past weekend, I was invited to the wedding of one of my interns. I had the days off already, and I loved the idea of being able to celebrate with him and his fiancĂ©e (also an intern at Tenwek). Annette, the respiratory therapist here, was driving and had an extra seat in her car, so with fairly uncharacteristic spontaneity, I decided to join the road trip. We left Saturday morning at 6:00 am for the four-hour drive to Eldoret, because the wedding was advertised as starting at 10. We arrived just a few minutes after 10 and found... a nearly-deserted church. (Bonus: we got a great parking space.) I had learned quite a bit about Kenyan weddings en route, so the eventual 11:30 start seemed very reasonable. It was a joyous and beautiful day, with a throng of friends and family so large that the wedding photographers had very smartly elected to use – among other strategies – a drone, which effectively bypassed the hordes of well-wishers who crowded the bride and groom most of the afternoon.

Though some of the Tenwek staff made the sprint back to Bomet Saturday evening, our car stayed the night in town. We’re essentially prohibited from driving after dark, and the wedding didn’t wind down until after 5, so we found hotel rooms and had dinner. I found our hotel restaurant to be very comfortingly Kenyan, insofar as it boasted an extensive menu, most of which, it seemed, they did not have available. In the end, it was a good excuse to eat sausages and eggs for dinner, and I went to bed quite happy. The following morning was notable mainly for a rather unexpected tour of a large swath of Eldoret. The city was hosting a half-marathon that morning, and in spite of the fact that the races had largely concluded by the time we checked out of the hotel, it was an hour-long proposition involving multiple u-turns, main road closures, unexpected dead ends, and eventually a Google-maps-led tour of what we referred to as some “suburban estates” to get to our end goal (Nakumatt).

Fortunately, we had left plenty of time, and we did, in the end, get to see quite a bit of the city, including Moi Teaching & Referral Hospital, where I’ve sent lots of patients over the years. The drive back was beautiful – through the Nandi Hills and the tea country around Kericho – and I arrived at Tenwek exhausted but glad for the chance to see more of the country and celebrate the beginning of a marriage.

Tea fields outside of Kericho
IV. Last week

One of my least favorite things about coming to Tenwek is that I usually feel like I’ve hit my stride right around the third week, and so by the time the fourth week rolls around, I’m in a mild panic about leaving too soon. I was starting to feel a little undone by that this morning, but once the afternoon hit, I hardly had time to think about it. I had just finished lunch back in my apartment when I got a 999 (code blue) page for only the second time this entire trip. I ran as much as I could (uphill at 6500 feet) up to casualty to find a day-old full term baby getting CPR. No IV access, and not much of a story. I wound up intubating him and giving a couple of rounds of epinephrine down the tube (after having some mild internal panic about the endotracheal dose of epi that I couldn’t comfortably sort through while also trying to ventilate the baby and run the code). When we finally got the monitor leads hooked up, the rate couldn’t have been more than about 15 or 20 beats per minute, and the complexes, if they were there at all, were wide. And I called it.

Five minutes later I found out this was the third infant son this mother has lost – she has one living daughter – and suddenly I felt the weight of the world crash down on my shoulders for having stopped when I did. We didn’t even check for hypoglycemia! I didn’t consider all the Hs & Ts! And did I underdose the epinephrine? But it turned out, when I got as much of the story as there was to get, that the baby was seen at a clinic earlier in the morning, was recognized as being quite sick even there, and was warm but pulseless when he showed up in casualty. And I did dose the epi appropriately after all. But I still wanted to scream and cry for the unfairness of it all and was trying not to do so when I got another 999 from the ward.

This time it was Vicky, a girl who was brought in last Friday after multiple seizures in the setting of new left-sided weakness. She had a completely normal spinal tap, an EEG(!) consistent with generalized encephalopathy, and a weirdly-abnormal CT scan that didn’t really help us toward any sort of definitive diagnosis. Just for good measure, her HIV testing was indeterminate, so that opened up a whole world of even weirder diagnostic possibilities – probably a lot of which weren’t treatable with our resources, anyway. She limped through the weekend without any seizures but had never regained consciousness. I was starting to have a fairly ominous feeling about her, so in many ways, it was merciful that it ended quickly. It was a bit of a messy code – sometimes they just are – and it was a reminder to me that death really is a messy thing, though back home we can often make it feel fairly sterile and controlled. 

But after all of that, there was a Kipagenge potluck tonight to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving. It was incredibly good for my extroverted soul, and it filled me up enough that I feel as though I have plenty to give in the next few days, whether I am ready for them to be my last days or not.

No comments: