I’m not sure if it’s a function of getting older and given
periods of time feeling relatively shorter than they used to, but arriving back
in Nairobi last weekend, it hardly felt that I’d been gone at all. In fairness,
it’s only been two and a half months since I left Tenwek, and I’m not sure I’ve
had two Kenya trips in such rapid succession before. And I’ve also remained tethered
more tightly, being in contact with people on this side of the ocean a lot more
frequently than I usually am.
At any rate, I’m halfway through my annual trip to KNH. Some things are the same - for instance, I can wander blithely around the hospital without any form of ID and no one seems to mind - but in
contrast to years past, I’m now being evenly split by the UoN Paediatric Anaesthesia
fellowship and the new PECC (Paediatric Emergency and Critical Care) fellowship. This means more fellows and a broader target audience. PECC also has a series
of visiting faculty volunteers over the year, which means that it’s less urgent
to cover every pertinent topic in critical care during a two-week window.
(Whew!) So far I’ve met three of the fellows – the fourth will be back from
leave tomorrow – and overall my time has felt a bit more structured than it has
on past trips, which is actually a huge relief.
One implication of supervising the PECC fellows is that I’m
a bit more formally responsible for supervising patient care in the PICU than I
have been before. With the anaesthesia fellows, we came along for morning
rounds, and I’d help troubleshoot issues that came up during rounds, but when
it was over, we walked away. Now, though, I’m supervising a fellow who is assigned
to the PICU, fields calls, and is responsible for the patients: not only do we
round in the morning, but we also return in the afternoon to follow up. I’m
finding this has made me more aware of the challenges inherent in the KNH
system and the way they impact the ability to think in an informed fashion
about clinical decision making. Honestly, it can be overwhelming not to get the
results of a chemistry panel for 24-36 hours when a toddler has severe acute
kidney injury, or to have any idea of whether or not a baby's anion gap is elevated because
the lactate is sky-high. And why does EVERYONE seemingly have refractory metabolic acidosis? A couple of patients have already made me
acutely aware that my clinical exam skills aren’t always what they could be, and I
have a lot of admiration for the folks who work hard to take good care of these
sick babies day after day, week after week, month after month.
The bottom line is that I’m only here for two weeks, and I have it easy: I get to go
back to a PICU where I’m utterly spoiled for resources, both human and medical.
So I pray every morning for a heart that’s willing to jump in, to engage the trainees with
whatever knowledge I can communicate and whatever critical thinking I can model.
The fellows are incredibly smart without exception, and in spite of whatever anxiety I
have every morning climbing the stairs to the PICU, it’s always always a joy to work with them.

No comments:
Post a Comment